Dave Fisher is Director of Business Development in one of the country’s premier accounting firms, Duncan and Toplis. With a strong local presence across 11 offices throughout the region, the firm offers accounting services and specialist business advice to a range of clients in retail, manufacturing, technology, IT, GP practices, leisure, academies, nursing homes, engineering, agriculture, logistics and transport. Listen to this engaging interview with a battle-hardened BD heavyweight and discover:
- The two things a good BD director in a large firm is actually responsible for.
- The role of mindset and importance of ‘being fearless’ in winning work.
- How BD has changed over the years, particularly in the many routes to market.
- The two distinct approaches to the BD Director role in large firms – collegiate vz gorilla
- Why a pure BD ‘hunting’ approach to handing work over can often be flawed.
- The key differences between sales, marketing and business development
- The attributes and skills that make a great work winner or business developer.
- What a ‘no’ really means when selling professional services and winning new work.
- Why accountants and lawyers are not mentally resilient enough, and what to do about it.
- Why it’s everyone’s job in your firm to win business and create new opportunities.
- The power of the BD Director, and how it can be good and bad.
- How winning work is different across professional services, say in accounting and law.
- Tips for setting growth targets in a large accounting firm.
- The importance and tools for tracking growth and new business in a large firm.
- How technology is changing the work winning game.
- Tips for hiring talent if you want to bring on board BD or work winning capability.
- Where the opportunities lie for the most lucrative business development activity.
- Relationship building tip: a simple measure of whether you like somebody or not.
- The challenges of GDPR and BREXIT in changing how business is won.
- How far ahead plans are made when it comes to strategic growth.
- The importance of succession planning, not just for the firm but for the work winning effort.
- The ONE THING professional firms fall foul of in developing their people to win work.
- “You win or you learn‘ – an extremely effective philosophy for winning work in a large firm.
To contact Dave:
07860 711 053 or email him directly>>